We grab every second of sunshine we can here in north-central Wisconsin because our seasons are short and winter is long. Catching up on winter-lost vitamin D and lifting our spirits with a dose of sunshine and warm weather play is wonderful for the soul but not so much for our skin.
Here are our best tips for skin soothing follow-up after a day in the sun:
1. Drink your water! Carry a water bottle with you constantly. Once home drink more water, tea, or herb-infused water. Avoid caffeine and alcohol after sun as they tend to be dehydrating.
2. End your day with a cool shower or bath to bring your skin temperature gently down and prepare for skin care follow-up. Sun, chlorine, and sweating all work to dehydrate our skin. We know that hydrated skin is plumper and younger looking so replenishing lost water from heat and sun is essential, bathing helps to hydrate from the outside-in.
3. Wash the dust, pollution, chlorine, sea salt off your body and face with good quality, chemical free bar soap and facial cleanser as soon as you come in.
4. Soothe sun parched lips with a hydrating lip oil in the evening. Use lip products with sunscreen before going outside but once indoors for the day switch to deeply nourishing lip oils. Be sure to wash your lips before applying so as to remove any remaining blocking wax. Wax creates a layer on your skin that blocks nourishing oils from doing their job. Brown Barn carries a full line of Berry Lip Oils that work great for re-hydrating and nourishing parched lips.
5. Moisturize with either nourishing skin oils or opt for facial cremes with ingredients that attract moisture to the skin. Facial Oils make for fabulous alternatives to traditional cremes. Light and highly nourishing, they sink in deeply to replenish and soothe.
We recommend blending facial oil with quality sunscreen before going outdoors, use face oils neat once your day in the sun is over. One oil we are especially excited about is 7 Day Glow’s INFUSE Moisturizer. This oil, featuring collagen and ceramides, works to help skin recover from sunburns while fighting environmental damage and aging.
If your skin is especially dry opt for a sugar scrub to use in the shower or tub first. Brown Barn’s sugar scrub is an incredible emulsified scrub made with a rich professional oil complex to leave your skin hydrated and glowing.
Maintaining a healthy glow all summer long is easy with the right tools and a workable system. Be sure to check out all of Brown Barn’s healthy skincare products at www.brownbarnskincare.com!
Christine Untiedt, Owner, Brown Barn Botanicals
Notice: These statements and blog content have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The information in our articles are not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and are not intended as medical advice. The content of these blogs and associated products is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using products or following blog advice.